Jon is responsible for developing INASP’s programme strategy and for the overall delivery of INASP’s projects, working across the research and knowledge system in 20+ countries. Jon has worked at the intersections of research capacity, higher education and international development for the last 14 years. He is currently project director of the DFID-funded Transforming Employability for Social Change in East Africa (TESCEA) project, and previously led INASP’s Strengthening Research and Knowledge Systems (SRKS) programme.
Before joining INASP, Jon spent six years with the Association of Commonwealth Universities, developing and managing research capacity initiatives. He has written and consulted on research capacity and higher education issues for a number of bilateral donors and research agencies.
Read blog posts by Jon here.
Key skills and expertise:
- Programme strategy and management
- Project design and development
- Partnership development and management
- Financial management
- Team and programme leadership
- Research and analysis
- Change in East African higher education: Reflections on the first year of the TESCEA partnership
- How can we strengthen research and knowledge systems in the Global South? Reflections from INASP’s five-year SRKS programme
- Understanding research and knowledge systems in the Somali regions: Report of a roundtable convened by INASP and the Rift Valley Institute
- Improving research access and communication in Sierra Leone
- The Experiences and Needs of African Doctoral Students: Current Conditions and Future Support
- Dazzled by digital? Research environments in African universities and their implications for the use of digital resources
- Strengthening research in African universities: reflections on policy, partnerships and politics
- Foundations for the Future: Supporting the early careers of African researchers
- Programme for the Enhancement of Research Information: Phase II External Evaluation 2008 – 2012 Final Report
- Growing Knowledge: Access to Research in East and Southern African Universities
- The Nairobi Report: Frameworks for Africa – UK Collaboration in the Social Sciences and Humanities
- Digital resources for research: a review of access and use in African universities
- DFID Higher Education Briefing Note