Download publication files
Report of the Gender in Higher Education Conference held in Puntland, Somalia on 21-23 November 2016.
Between Monday 21 and Wednesday 23 November 2016, the first Annual Gender in Higher Education in Puntland Knowledge Exchange seminar took place in Garowe, the capital city of the Puntland State of Somalia. The event lasted three days and was attended by over 120 people from all sectors in society such as government institutions, higher-education institutions, civil society and students.
The papers presented included:
- Zaynab Khalid, Ideological and Psychological Obstacles to The Process of Higher Education in Somalia
- Amaal Siciid Jama, The Advantages of Educating of Somali Women and Girls
- Nuzaiba Abdulaahi Ali, Barriers to Girls and Women’s Education in Somalia
- Khadija Abdullahi, Marriage and the Success of Female Students in Higher Education in Puntland
- Sacdio Daahir Nuur, the Barriers facing Female Researchers in Somalia
- Nawal Cadceed, Somali Women Professionals: Balancing Career and Family
- Hamdy Abdiqani, Women & Higher Education In Somalia: An Overview Of Educational Imbalances
- Zahra Jama Salah, Women Entrepreneurs and The Role of Higher Education in Businesses
- Samsam Said, Female Teachers in Somalia: Challenges and Avenues for Opportunities
- Sahro Ahmed Koshin, A Gender-responsive Institution: A Critical Look at Policies and Plans
- Becoming a Role Model for My Children: How I Inspired My Children to Succeed in School
- Asiya Gurey, Factors Hindering Girls and Women’s Education in Puntland
- Dr Idil Jama, Educating women beyond university in Puntland, Somalia Zeynab Mohamed, Gender and disability in higher education in Somalia
This document summarizes some of the key findings and recommendations. It includes an executive summary and conference programme. A full report is available on request.