Our approach is based on an understanding that:
- Locally generated knowledge and solutions are key to solving local development challenges.
- Research quality is critical to ensuring that evidence is appropriate, relevant, and credible.
- Evidence and knowledge are central to designing and delivering socially just and effective policies.
- Everyone has an equal right to access the world’s collective knowledge, irrespective of geography, wealth, race, ethnicity or gender.
- Researchers from all types of institutions (academia, civil society and government) have an equal right to contribute their knowledge and evidence and to participate in the global problem-solving process in aid of development.
- Working in an integrated and systemic way is more effective in realizing longer-term development.
- Our work must be grounded in a good understanding of the social and political contexts and the power dynamics within which we and our partners work.
The key principles that underpin our approach and guide our strategy are:
- Relevant and Responsive: Always adapting our work to local contexts and the changing needs of our partners.
- Promoting Equity: Actively addressing the needs of both men and women across all of our work and addressing issues of power within the research and knowledge system.
- Working across the System: Using our unique network of individuals and institutions across research and knowledge systems in multiple countries to promote collective knowledge sharing, problem solving and better collaboration.
- Ensuring Sustainability: Agreeing clear plans for sustainability, which are appropriate to our partners.
- Practising Good Governance: Delivering on our commitments to key stakeholders, acting responsibly and ensuring transparency.
- Offering Value for Money: Using the principles of economy, efficiency, effectiveness and equity in our programme design and delivery.
- Critical Thinking, Reflection and Learning: Continuously improving our strategies and approaches through ongoing organizational learning.
- Expertise: Making the fullest use of the experience, insights and skill of our staff to deliver excellent programmes